Painting 1949 Scotts Bluff National Monument

 Earl painted this during a visit during the summer of 1949. This is the Visitor's Center sitting in front of Scott's Bluff. A year after this was painted I was born and brought home to this spot where my parents lived in a small trailor behind the building. I was dismayed when I saw the condition of the painting in 2020. The varnish originally applied had darkened to a point that the painting was not in a shape to display. I hoped I could get the varnish off without ruining the painting underneath and restore it enough to display it for myself. It took trial and error, but finally I found a solvent. I used Professional Only acetone based varnish remover. I had to use a respirator mask because of the toxicity of the fumes, but it paid off. The removal of the varnish exposed cracks in the paint in places, so I also did some touch up painting. This first photo, the final result, shows the cracks as highlights, but they are less obvious viewed first hand. 


Final result of restoration.


Painting after first restoration attempt. I removed this layer of varnish and removed more of the old varnish before revarnishing


Photo of painting in 2020 before varnish removal 


Close up of first successful effort to remove old varnish layer

Comments